Monday, March 30, 2009

The Great Beast Onyxia

A Tale of Armorage a Level 80 Death Knight trying to keep the evil of Northrend from spilling over the whole of Azeroth.

As a member of the Alliance I frequently am called upon to patrol the other continents. Our main forces are focused on the Lich King and this gives other evils a chance to fester and grow corrupting our people. The swamplands outside of the proud city of Theramore are ripe for this kind of activity. A large increase of activity from the drakes in the area tipped us off to some kind of major offensive. I took a small party of seasoned warriors down into the swamplands to investigate. In our party was a great druid healer Animorph. I have mentioned him before in these logs as his heroic deeds are many. We took with us two green horns another druid and a death knight as myself.

As we reached the southern end of the swamp we had to fight through large groups of dragon kind. Mostly just whelplings and dragon sorcerers. None of these provided much challenge to seasoned soldiers such as ourselves. Finally we stumbled upon a great cave with gigantic carved talons blocking the entrance. We quickly found the mechanism to enter the cave. The shear size of the cave caused our companions to hesitate. Animorph and myself having seen the Lich King himself shrugged this off. We followed the cave a ways in dispatching some minor minions. Eventually we came upon a great cavern. We could see cracks of lava riddling the floor and in the center of the room was one of the biggest dragons I have ever seen. She was black as the night and had armor plates across her entire body. She was indeed one of the most fearsome things I had seen outside of Northrend.

The dragon told us it's name was Onyxia and that it would feast on our bones and give the tender morsels of our flesh to its children. I am pretty sure I do not have any tender flesh left but felt it was inappropriate to mention this to the dragon at this time.

I did what any sane person would and charged into battle, the etched runes of my sword glowing blood red, frosty white, and poisonous green. I would like to say I dispatched this beast easily but this was truly an epic battle. Without my companions help I would have been felled. I have no idea what happens to a Death Knight when they die but I expect some special place in hell is reserved for me.

I struck this beast with all I had and still it battled on. Finally it took flight and circled above us calling for its brood. As the young dragons descended upon us she flew above raining fireballs down upon us all. I was worried for my friend the druid as his tree form would seem ill advised for battle fires. He held his ground as we cleared out Onyxia's huge brood. Enraged she finally landed and in a fury tried to decapitate me. I stood my ground, my sword matching each giant claws smash. Disease, blood, poison, all of my powers were tested. I felt the familiar healing waves emanating from my druid companion sustaining me through waves of flame and rending claw. Finally with a great cleave of my sword the beast lay dead at my feet.

I had to laugh as the beast was reduced to a pair of slippers by Animorphs skinning knife. In the end this is the fate of us all. To be reduced to our component parts and forgotten by the annals of time. Could there be something past the end of our days. I do not remember anything from my time of death but perhaps us living or undead can not process the wonders of that time.. or the horrors.

No comments: